Monday, October 15, 2012

How to Buy Children's Clothing for Virtually FREE!

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a shopper.  At all.  If there's a specific item I need, I like to get in, get the item, and get on my way.  I'm not a shopper...let alone a bargain shopper or crazy coupon-er.  What I've learned over many years, though, is that I LOVE a bargain.  I love negotiating terms, coming to a win-win, getting free stuff, finding deals, and trading services.

The first year of my son's life I was such a baby clothes snob.  I only bought brand new pieces and the latest fashions from the most popular baby stores in town.  The next year, I found myself so disappointed and actually offended at some of the offers I got on the baby clothes I had for sale in the South Harbour Annual Community Garage Sale.  I had a very clear "aha moment" when one of my garage sale customers offered a mere $0.25 for a pair of Tommy Hilfiger shorts my son had only worn once (and that I had probably paid $35 for).  In pure disgust (and a little sadness, too), I accepted the ladies' $0.25.  I also vowed I'd never pay $35 for a pair of toddler-sized duds again!

So for the last 6 years, this is how I've managed not to pay full price for my kids' clothes (and even most of my own):

1.  PURGE!  If it hasn't been worn in the past year, it goes.  It is so liberating to clean the clutter and make room for new.  It's also a good feeling knowing that my items are going to new owners who will love them as much as I once did.

2.  Sell and donate in season.  Get to know the consignment shops where you live.  Find out who takes what.  Some shops are more picky than others.  Just b/c one shop won't take some of your items, doesn't mean another one won't.  Also note: there is a difference between consigning and selling.  Consigning means you drop your items off at the consignment shop and the shop sells them for you.  Most shops cut checks once a month, so be sure to find out how the shop pays and check in regularly to see if there is a check waiting for you.  Selling is when the shop buys your items outright and pays you right away.

The second part of this is to sell in season.  Sell fall/winter items at the end of summer when stores start to place their fall/winter items out.  Sell spring/summer items when stores start putting out spring and summer items.  The demand for these items in season is higher and this means that consignment shops will pay more and are likely to take more items.

3.  Buy "New!"  I like to use the money I've just made on the sold items to buy "new" items from consignments shops.  There's a science to this, though, b/c all consignment shops are not created equal.  That's why one consignment shop won't buy a specific item but another shop across town will.  When I look for items, I look for brands that are well-known and that will be bought back once my kids outgrow them.  Some shops carry more name brand items than others.  Many times, I sell items at one shop and buy new items at another.

4.  Keep Rotating.  At any given time, there is a bag in each of my kids' closets with clothes they've outgrown.  If they are not in season but my kids have outgrown them, I hold them in the closet until its time to sell.  I continue adding to the bag and by the time its full, it is typically full of clothes of the same season, so its time to sell and replenish the clothes my kids have outgrown.

I also like to go through my kids toys about every 6-12 months.  I love seeing how much money I can get from each visit to the consignment shop!  Putting that cash towards "new" clothes for my kids is such a thrill.  Its not uncommon for me to find clothes in the consignment shops that still have the tags on them!  At my last visit, I found the cutest black shirt for my daughter.  The original tag was still on it and read $24.50.  The consignment shop price was $8.50.  Can you say, "SCORE!"  That was a sweet victory!

You can have sweet victory (and an organized closet), too, by starting your rotation today.  Right now, shops are taking winter items.  So get in those closets and find those ill-fitting hats, gloves, sweaters, sweatshirts, jeans, snow boots, and snow suits!  Google your local consignment shops and go make some deals!  Use your cash to score cute, name brand, gently used items for the upcoming season.  Continue the rotation and (most importantly) have fun!      

2 comments:

Mike Downer - ERA Real Estate said...

Great advice - I need to do a lot ofclean up around my closets and this will inspire me to actually do it.

Lisa Treadwell said...

Just have fun and enjoy the extra weight lifted off your shoulders! Make room for the new blessings!