Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Everything is Negotiable. Everything!

I love negotiating.  Many would say I'm a sicko and my own family members have been completely mortified when I walked away from a sales associate who was unable or unwilling to negotiate.  I have a few mottos: "you never know unless you ask," "the worst anyone will say is no," "nothing is free," and "everything is negotiable."  That last one is due in part to my Financial Peace University training from Dave Ramsey and my dad.

Even this weirdo has experienced the major payoffs of negotiation!

I've gotten special photo orders from Wal-Mart b/c I refused to buy the entire package they offered.  I didn't  need all that was in the pre-packaged sets, so why would I buy it?  That's the time my family was completely appauled and embarassed to be seen with me b/c I calmly walked away and before I could get too far, the nice Wal-Mart sales associate said she could, in fact, sell me just the photos I wanted instead of the pre-packaged photos.  See?  EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE!

I've gotten free warranties, extras, and add ons simply b/c I asked and someone wanted to make a sale!  In fact, while I've been writing this blog, I've been negotiating some interest charges off my car loan! 

Here's what I've learned about negotiating:

1. EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE! Here are some ideas of negotiable items: warranties, extented service plans, upgrades, add-ons, extra features, cell phone/cable/Internet plans, real estate terms, parts, labor, and terms.
2. Stay completely unemotional, calm, polite, nice, and upbeat.  No one likes a hot head and besides, people look like asses when they can't control their emotions.
3. Determine what you really want and start by asking for MORE.  This way, you will land where you wanted to be in the first place.
4. Be realistic.  Keep an unbiased head about a particular item.  Don't be unreasonable.  This will offend the sales associate and unreasonable people also look like asses. 
5. DO NOT be afraid to ask, but DECIDE FIRST what you are willing to live with and at what point you will walk away without the goods or services.

Remember to be kind and gracious, not hauty and self rightous.  Thank the sales associate no matter the outcome and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

For more tips or to contact me directly, visit my website.






4 comments:

Mike Downer - ERA Real Estate said...

I love to negotiate. I always feel bad when I can't get something additional for my client.

Lisa Treadwell said...

Its so fun!

Unknown said...

Great post! I like to negotiate also and for the record, my family thinks I'm nuts but I think they secretly are jealous that I have cojones and they don't. Hee Hee.

Lisa Treadwell said...

Ha! That's what I think, too!